|Derek Laxdal (Credit: Christina Shapiro/Texas Stars)|
- Utica can close out the Griffins and make it to the Calder Cup Finals this evening in Game 6 in New York. Jacob Markstrom, former San Antonio Rampage goalie, came alive as the series shifted to Grand Rapids for games 3, 4 and 5. He averaged a .940 save percentage in the contests, frustrating the Griffins. [MLive]
- The Dallas Stars will hold training camp in Cedar Park this year, as previously announced. What came out this week about why it's not going to be in Fort Worth was interesting. In short, the arena came within three hours of not having any ice for the Stars to skate on... [Star-Telegram]
- The Carolina Hurricanes did good by their AHL affiliate this past week as they re-signed Drew MacIntyre for 2015-16. In an otherwise forgettable year for the Checkers, MacIntyre was a bright spot. The long-time AHL goalie passed 200 AHL wins this past year. [TheAHL]
- Did you know that Syracuse's War Memorial doesn't have a regulation sized hockey rink? It's one of those weird quirks from having such an historic rink. Tampa Bay and Syracuse are working with the county to expand the rink to a full sized sheet this summer. [Raw Charge]
- Derek Laxdal is setting an example across the pond with one of his former players. Darrell Hay, who played three seasons with the Steelheads under Laxdal, has just picked up his first assistant coaching gig with the EIHL's Sheffield Steelers.
In an interview with BBC Radio Sheffield’s Peter Spencer, Hay said "If I could pattern by career like anyone, it would be Derek Laxdal." Eventually he'd like to make his way to the North American pro ranks. Laxdal played for Sheffield in the early 2000s as well. [BBC Radio Sheffield]